Infidelity is one of the most challenging and painful experiences a couple can face. It shatters trust, creates feelings of betrayal, and can potentially destroy even the strongest relationships. The pain, confusion, and emotional turmoil can be overwhelming, and it may seem impossible to move forward. However, couples counselling can provide a safe space for couples to explore their feelings, gain understanding, and work towards healing and rebuilding their relationship.
Through a compassionate and non-judgmental approach, couples can learn to navigate the complex emotions and difficult conversations that arise as a result of infidelity, ultimately leading to stronger, more resilient relationships. This article will delve into the process of understanding and healing from infidelity through couples counselling, offering valuable insights and strategies for couples seeking to repair their bond and regain trust.
Why Do People Cheat?
There are several reasons why people cheat, and understanding these can help couples navigate the aftermath of an affair. Some of these reasons include the following:
- Some People Believe It Can Save the Relationship: Some individuals may feel that their relationship is lacking emotional or physical intimacy, and they may seek this elsewhere in an attempt to fill the void. They may believe that by doing so, they can maintain their primary relationship without addressing the underlying issues.
- Others Use Cheating as a Way to End the Relationship Without Confrontations: Some individuals may feel trapped in an unhappy relationship and may not have the courage to confront their partner about their feelings. They may cheat as a way to force the end of the relationship, hoping their partner will discover the affair and initiate the breakup.
Exploring Different Feelings after Discovering an Affair
It’s natural for both partners to experience a range of emotions after discovering an affair. Some common feelings include:
- Grief: The partner who has been betrayed may experience a deep sense of loss, as the trust that once existed in the relationship has been shattered. They may also mourn the loss of the future they had envisioned with their partner.
- Confusion: Both partners may struggle to understand why the affair occurred, and they may feel overwhelmed by the complexity of their emotions. It can be difficult for the betrayed partner to reconcile their love for their partner with the anger and hurt they feel as a result of the infidelity.
- Fight or Flight Response: When faced with the reality of an affair, some individuals may react with anger and aggression, while others may withdraw and become emotionally distant. These reactions are part of the body’s natural response to stress and can make it challenging for couples to communicate effectively.
- Emotional Vertigo: The betrayed partner may feel as though their world has been turned upside down, and they may struggle to find their footing in the relationship. This emotional vertigo can make it difficult for them to make decisions about the future of their relationship.
Healing from Infidelity through Couples Counselling
Couples counselling can provide a safe and supportive environment for couples to explore their feelings, understand the reasons behind the infidelity, and work on rebuilding trust. Some benefits of couples counselling include:
- Improved Communication: A skilled therapist can help couples develop healthy communication skills, enabling them to express their feelings and concerns openly and honestly.
- Understanding the Root Cause of the Affair: By examining the factors that contributed to the infidelity, couples can gain insight into the issues that need to be addressed in their relationship. This understanding can help prevent future instances of infidelity.
- Rebuilding Trust: A therapist can help couples develop strategies for rebuilding trust, such as setting boundaries, being transparent about their feelings, and demonstrating a commitment to the relationship.
- Emotional Support: Counselling can provide a safe space for both partners to express their emotions and receive support from the therapist and one another.
The Bottom Line
Infidelity can be a deeply painful and traumatic experience for both partners in a relationship. However, with the support of couples counselling, many couples can work through the complex emotions, issues, and challenges that arise in the wake of an affair and ultimately emerge stronger, more connected, and more resilient. If you and your partner are struggling to navigate the aftermath of
Are you looking for marriage counselling in Calgary? Whether you’re struggling with communication, infidelity, parenting, or any other issue, Virtuous Circle Counselling can help. Our marriage counsellors are dedicated to helping you and your partner build a strong, healthy, and lasting relationship. Contact us today to learn more!