A psychological assessment in Calgary can be an important part of the treatment process for many individuals. Psychological assessments, also known as evaluations or testing, provide valuable insight into the way an individual thinks, feels and behaves. This information can then be used to develop a treatment plan that will specifically address their needs and help them move forward towards a more successful and fulfilling life.
Psychological assessments are utilized by professionals working in the field of psychology as part of the treatment process for a variety of reasons. They are often used to identify and diagnose mental health issues, which can then be treated by a qualified mental health professional. Psychological assessments also provide information about an individual’s strengths, weaknesses and preferences so that any necessary changes to treatment and lifestyle can be made.
At Virtuous Circle Counselling, we offer comprehensive evaluations that can highlight problems related to cognition such as memory, processing speed, attention deficits, and more. We also assess for mood disorders such as depression or anxiety.
What Benefits Do Psychological Assessments Provide?
Psychological assessments are important tools for psychologists, psychiatrists, and other mental health professionals as they examine an individual’s behaviour and cognitive functioning. Psychological assessments are used to diagnose psychological disorders and mental illnesses as well as determine a person’s cognitive abilities.
Psychological assessments can be administered in different ways depending on the situation or purpose of the assessment. For example, some psychological assessments may be performed in person while others may be done online. The type of assessment will depend on what information is needed by the psychologist treating the individual.
There are many benefits associated with psychological assessments:
- Helping people who suffer from depression or other psychological disorders understand what they are going through;
- Identifying problems that may cause or aggravate a mental health condition;
- Suggesting treatment options;
- Providing insight into how someone will respond to specific treatments; and
- Identifying strengths and weaknesses that may affect a person’s quality of life.
Psychological assessments are a powerful diagnostic tool for both individuals who suffer from mental health issues as well as their healthcare provider. In most cases, patients find these assessments helpful because they provide much-needed insight into what they are going through, helping them to understand their condition in more thorough terms.
What Is Involved In Psychological Assessments?
Psychological assessments can take place in a variety of different settings and styles depending on the type of problem that needs to be examined and the goals you have for treatment. Some people prefer to complete self-administered questionnaires or online surveys while others may prefer to meet with a psychologist face-to-face for an interview. In addition to these methods, you may also be asked to complete some form of psychological test or experiment which will help determine your level of functioning in certain areas such as intelligence or memory capacity.
These tests are typically administered by qualified professionals who will ask you questions about yourself and your past experiences in order to gain an understanding of what might be influencing your current behaviour or symptoms (for example, depression). Some assessments may involve several sessions over several weeks, but the average time for an assessment to take place is between 2 to 8 hours.
Who Can Benefit From A Psychological Assessment?
Psychological assessments are often a crucial step in the diagnosis of mental illness. For both children and adults, the specific benefits of Psychological Assessment include:
- Shedding light on the existence of specific cognitive disorders – whether the person has an underlying learning disability; or whether he / she has difficulty with attention and concentration; or indicates symptoms of ADHD or other conditions;
- Assessing how well an individual performs on various measures of intelligence (IQ) and problem solving skills (e.g., logical reasoning);
- Establishing the presence of brain damage due to head injury or stroke;
- Identifying specific learning disabilities and attention deficits that affect performance in school; and
- Evaluating language skills including reading comprehension, grammar and vocabulary usage.
People may benefit from psychological assessment in a number of different situations. Whether you’re a child, a teenager, or an adult, having your cognitive abilities and attention evaluated can help you understand more about yourself and lead to greater success. If you are facing challenges in any areas, consider having your cognitive functioning assessed by a professional at Virtuous Circle Counselling.
Virtuous Circle Counselling Offers Psychological Assessments In Calgary
Virtuous Circle Counselling offers a broad range of psychological assessments in Calgary. We assess a variety of conditions and provide comprehensive reports that can be used to determine eligibility for disability benefits, custody cases, and other matters.
We offer the following psychological assessments:
- ADHD Assessments – If you suspect that you or your child may have ADHD, we can perform a thorough assessment using standardized tests that are recognized by the medical community. The results will help you decide whether further treatment is needed.
- Gifted Assessments – If you suspect that your child is gifted, we can conduct an assessment using standardized tests to determine their level of giftedness. This report can be used to qualify them for special services at school or in other areas of their life where they will benefit from extra support because of their higher intelligence level.
- Psychoeducational Assessments – These assessments are designed to identify any learning disabilities or cognitive disabilities that may be affecting your child’s ability to learn effectively in school or elsewhere. They include standardized testing as well as interviews with parents and teachers to determine if there are any learning issues present that require attention before they can achieve their full potential academically, socially or emotionally.
- Mental Health Assessments – Mental health assessments are conducted when you are struggling with symptoms related to mental illness such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder. Psychological assessment is often used with individuals who have been diagnosed with mental illness but also for those who are concerned about their mental health but don’t believe they meet the criteria for diagnosis. It may also be used if you have been asked to undergo an assessment by another professional such as a doctor or lawyer so that he or she can better understand your situation.
Our psychological assessments are easy to arrange, and accessible through online booking. Our goal is to take the guesswork out of testing and make the process as seamless as possible. In addition, our registered psychologist will evaluate your condition and make sense of any potential symptoms, in ways that you can understand. In this way, we work towards a more informed client who is able to make more informed decisions based on what they have learned from their assessment.