Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder that impacts people of all ages and is related to the development of the brain. It is recognized by a lack of focus, increased activity, and impulsive behaviour. While ADHD is commonly diagnosed in childhood, many adults also struggle with this disorder. In fact, it’s estimated that up to 6% of adults in Canada have ADHD. If you are questioning if you have may have adult ADHD an adult ADHD assessment should be considered for a diagnosis.
Fortunately, there are many resources available to support you in managing your symptoms and improving your quality of life. In fact, many Calgary therapists recommend counselling for people who may be suffering from ADHD, especially adults. In this article, we will explore the benefits of counselling for adult ADHD, as well as some of the resources available in Calgary.
How Does ADHD Affect Adults?
ADHD can have a significant impact on an adult’s life. Symptoms such as inattention, forgetfulness, impulsivity, and disorganization can affect their work, relationships, and overall quality of life. Adults with ADHD may struggle with:
- Difficulty with organization and time management
- Struggles with completing tasks and following through on commitments
- Poor memory and forgetfulness
- Impulsivity and difficulty controlling impulses and emotions
- Restlessness and difficulty relaxing or winding down
- Trouble with prioritizing and making decisions
- Problems with focus and attention, especially in busy or distracting environments
These symptoms can lead to challenges in many areas of life, such as difficulty meeting deadlines at work, struggling with personal relationships, and feeling overwhelmed by daily tasks and responsibilities. However, with the right support and treatment, many adults with ADHD are able to manage their symptoms and improve their overall quality of life.
How Can Counselling Help with Adult ADHD?
Counselling can be an effective treatment for adults with ADHD. A trained counsellor can help you develop strategies to manage your symptoms and improve your quality of life. Some ways that counselling can help include:
- Developing Coping Strategies: A counsellor can work with you to develop coping strategies that can help you manage your ADHD symptoms. This might include strategies for improving focus and attention, managing impulsivity, and improving time management.
- Addressing Co-Occurring Conditions: Many adults with ADHD also struggle with co-occurring conditions such as anxiety or depression. A counsellor can help you address these conditions and develop strategies to manage them.
- Improving Relationships: ADHD can affect relationships with friends, family, and coworkers. A counsellor can help you improve your communication skills and develop strategies for managing conflicts in relationships.
- Improving Self-Esteem: Adults with ADHD may struggle with low self-esteem due to their symptoms. A counsellor can help you develop a more positive self-image and improve your confidence.
- Providing Support: A counsellor can provide ongoing support as you navigate the challenges of living with ADHD. They can help you stay motivated and focused on your goals, and provide a safe space to discuss any challenges or setbacks you may face.
If you are an adult with ADHD or you know someone with the same condition, counselling can be an incredibly helpful tool for managing your symptoms and improving your quality of life. By seeking counselling, you can gain a better understanding of your ADHD, develop practical skills for managing your symptoms, and receive emotional support. Whether you access counselling through Alberta Health Services, a private counsellor, or a support group, there are many resources available to support you in your journey towards better mental health.
Get the help you need today and start living a happier, more fulfilling life. Virtuous Circle Counselling is a Calgary-based counselling service that offers individual and group counselling services for people who want to improve their mental health and well-being. We understand that counselling and therapy are a collaborative process, and our team of experienced counsellors works with you to identify your needs and develop a custom treatment plan tailored to meet your unique goals and circumstances. Schedule a consultation with us today and take the first step towards a healthier and happier you.